Ever see a beautiful kitchen remodel on Pinterest or a home improvement show, and the next thing you know, you hate everything about your current kitchen? You begin to experience a sense of urgency about updating your kitchen. Don’t rush. Before you jump into a kitchen remodel, do these things first:
- Think about why: Sure, you want a prettier kitchen. But why else are you remodeling? Do you want room for entertaining? Do you plan to sell your home in the next few years? Do you want a more open space? Take the time to figure out what you really want to get out of your kitchen.
- Plan your budget: The scope of your project will largely determine cost, and you’ll also want to take materials, contractors, structural changes, and more into consideration.
- Take your time planning: Planning a kitchen remodel isn’t something you do in a weekend. It’s a big investment, so make sure you are getting what you really want. Plan out as many of the details as you can to make the project run more smoothly.
- Think quality: You want your kitchen remodel to last. The materials in your kitchen should hold up to heavy and tough use. Don’t scrimp on materials. Always choose quality materials and contractors. When choosing materials, look for low maintenance and long warranties.
- Plan for delays: Delays are always possible in remodeling. Products may be hard to secure, weather may ruin construction days, and so on. When thinking about the date you’re hoping your project will be complete, plan in some cushion time. Are you hosting a large event for the holidays? Make sure your contractor knows and give yourself plenty of extra time.
- Plan to live without a kitchen: Make preparations for how you’ll live without your kitchen during construction. How will you feed your family? If your budget (and waistline) won’t allow for take-out every night, start thinking about meals you can prepare without use of your oven or stove. Set up a temporary kitchen elsewhere in your house and move the microwave and other small appliances to that space.
When you take the time to think through and plan for every step of the kitchen remodeling process, you’ll be much happier and prepared. Carpet One Floor and Home can walk you through every step of your kitchen remodel before you begin, and keep you updated as we go. Call 703-298-8876 for your free in-home consultation or visit one of our showrooms.
Leave a Reply